Orkney Backyard Ultra
25 Jun 2022 - 28 Jun 2022
Orkney Athletic and Running Club are delighted to introduce Orkney’s Twatt Backyard Ultra!
Will you be the last still going in Twatt?
4.1667 miles on the hour, every hour. Welcome to Scotland’s first ever Backyard Ultra – the most fun you’ll ever have on an island!
This event is a BRONZE TICKET QUALIFYING RACE and as an affiliated BYU if you run enough laps and you could get on the "At-large list" for Big's backyard in Tennessee 2023.
Our Backyard is on Twatt Farm in the west of the very beautiful main island of Orkney. Closer to Oslo than we are to London, Twatt is the perfect place to run and run and run – and run. It’ll hurt. But in a good way.
This low-key, off-grid event will be run on a mixed terrain route of dirt road, grass and trail - out and back - across Twatt Farm. With almost 300ft of elevation, the route is easily completed within an hour (at least for the first few laps!)
Runners must be inside the Hay Bale Starting Coral when the farmer honks his tractor horn to signal the beginning of every lap – on the hour, every hour from midday on Saturday 25 June 2022. Anyone who doesn’t line-up for the start at any point during the race will be timed out and awarded for their efforts with a lovely unique medal and goody bag.
Any proceeds from our Backyard will go to Orkney Athletic and Running Club to support our island based athletes.
For information on the best way to travel to Orkney and to make the most of your stay here, please check out the Visit Scotland website or feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Starting point and registration: Twatt Farm, Birsay, Orkney, Scotland.
Entry cost: £50 / £48 Scottish Athletics members. Please note that Online entry closes 31 May 2022.
If for any reason you are unable to run, your number can be transferred to another individual up until the closing date of 31 May 2022. Please contact the Race Organiser through the email address above providing details of the new runner. No refunds will be given unless the race is cancelled.
Included with your entry fee:
- Camping from Friday 24 June at the race venue field for campervans or tents. Please note there will be no showers or hot running water.
- First aid cover during event.
- Fully waymarked and marshalled route.
- Hot food and drinks provided free on race day for runners and available for others for a donation to Orkney Athletic and Running Club.
- Goody bags and special prize for all DNFs, trophy and "bronze coin" also awarded to the last person standing.
Suggested kit list:
- Appropraite clothing for the weather. Please bear in mind that in Orkney we commonly have all four seasons in 24 hours.
- Head torch and batteries (for the five minutes of darkness in Orkney's mid summer).
- Hydration and nutrition specific for your own needs. General snacks and some hot food will be provided for runners.
- Sheltered area provided for runners and crew without their own tents or campervans to rest between laps or to place bags.
If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact the organisers via the facebook page or by email - firstname.lastname@example.org - route maps and other information can be found on our facebook page:
We look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful island and offering an opportunity for you to run further than you ever have before!
Rules and Regulatory Bodies:
The Twatt Backyard Ultra will be run in accordance with any Scottish Government COVID-19 safety guidance that may be in place at the time of the event along with the rules and regulations of the sport's governing body - Scottish Athletics Federation (SAF) and Big Dog's Backyard Ultra. SAF has issued the Race Organisers with a permit (number 11958) to hold the race which under the Terms and Conditions stipulate that:
- Runners taking part in the event must be over 18 years old on the day.
- The course is not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Running with buggies or pets is not permitted.
- It is essential that the Race Organisers abide by these age requirements in order that the appropriate insurances are not compromised.
|31 May 2022 23:59||£48.00||£50.00|
*Discounted for members of any of SA EA WA
To sign-up for this event, the Service Fee is 4% (min 50p) for each sign-up
Dates and Status
Total Places: 50
Places Available: ??List