Ipswich Triathlon Club
As one of East Anglia’s leading triathlon clubs, we aim to promote the sport of triathlon to all levels of athletes, whether beginner or expert, junior or ‘super-veteran’. We regret that, for the time being, we are unable to offer membership to juniors.
We are a community club as defined by British Triathlon: organised on an amateur basis and reliant on members pitching in as needed on a volunteer basis.
No-one will be excluded and beginners and newcomers to the sport are especially welcome. In 2020 we had around 170 members of all ages spread over Suffolk, South Norfolk, Essex and beyond. They ranged from complete beginners - some still yet to do their first event - to athletes competing in Ironman / long course world championships.
What does the club offer?
- Members-only swimming sessions are held on a Saturday morning at a local 25m pool, with some coaching available.
- In addition, during the summer holiday period, senior members have been able to use a private lake which has been available on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
- Each week the club aims to organise run sessions for members of all abilities.
- The club also aims to organise weekly group bike rides (of varying distances) for members. Beginners to experienced riders are welcome.
- We are affiliated to British Triathlon through Triathlon England. This means that members can get a discount off the full year subscription if they choose to join British Triathlon direct - for example to get an annual race licence. (Please check back with me if you cannot find our club listed on the Triathlon England or BT website.)
- We are linked to the Ipswich District Cycling Association, which means members are able to compete in the Association's summer series of mid-week evening time-trials (five & 10 mile).
- We are affiliated to UK Athletics through England Athletics. First claim senior members, once registered receive the England Athletics competition licence which serves as a club membership card, and are entitled to discounted entry to UK:A registered races and other benefits.
- Affiliation to England Athletics has meant we have usually been allocated a place in the Virgin Money London Marathon.
- Club kit is sold to members at cost, with members also receiving discount vouchers when fulfilling their marshalling obligations at Club races.
- Discounts are often available from various local retailers, notably Coes (Norwich Road, Ipswich) who offer a 15% discount on full-priced running shoes & kit.
- We have Club Championships with categories for seniors, veterans and super-vets. For seniors, these championships are decided by performance within a club championship league which features a choice of eligible events from sprint to Ironman distance.
- The club retains a club website for advertising club events such as the ever popular Culford triathlons but members are encouraged to join to a very active members-only "closed group" on Facebook.
In addition to these club activities, individual members organise social and other events throughout the year, including ride-outs & yoga sessions, using the Facebook group.
What does membership cost?
For 2021, subscriptions have been maintained at the previous year’s level for members who wish to compete and represent the club in races (cross country, time-trials, etc).
This year we have also introduced a reduced subscription of £5 for members who only wish to train and keep fit but do not wish to compete in races.
- Senior (18 yrs & over) – Competitive Member - £20.00 (to include registration with England Athletics for first claim seniors)
- Senior (18 yrs & over) – Member - £5
We are able to maintain annual membership fees at a low level because of revenue generated by our open events. Senior members are therefore asked to commit to providing help with the sprint triathlons we hold at Culford in May and August. We also need volunteers for three of the mid-week cycle time-trials during the summer. The races are very popular and an excellent opportunity for members to meet up. Each volunteer will receive £10 worth of Ipswich Triathlon club kit vouchers as a thank you for helping out.
The competitive members subscription fee includes affiliation to England Athletics for first claim senior members which will gain you an England Athletics competition licence. (Please note this is NOT a triathlon race licence, which you buy as part of entering an event. However, our members can get a discount on an annual licence from Triathlon England.)
What events does the Club promote?
The Club is intending to promote two "open" events in 2021:
- a spring "sprint" triathlon held at Culford near Bury St Edmunds in late May.
- a summer "sprint" triathlon, again at Culford, in August (date to be confirmed).
We also put on three of the local series of cycle time-trials, for which volunteers are also needed. (These races are only open to members of associated clubs.). The dates for these events will be notified to members.
Please Note: during the current pandemic we will be guided by British Triathlon. Such guidance may have an impact on organised training and events and all members will be kept up to date via the members Facebook page.
For more information see the calendar on our website or subscribe to the club Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ipswichtriclub/ .
For each sign-up, the organiser pays the Service Fee of 4% (min 50p). You pay no surcharge