Ipswich Triathlon Club
As one of East Anglia’s leading triathlon clubs, we aim to promote the sport of triathlon to all levels of athletes, whether beginner, experienced, or ‘super-veteran’.
No-one will be excluded and beginners and newcomers to the sport are especially welcome. In 2022 we had 160 members of all ages spread over Suffolk, South Norfolk, Essex and beyond. They ranged from complete beginners - some still yet to do their first event - to athletes competing in Ironman / long course world championships.
We are a community club as defined by British Triathlon: organised on an amateur basis and reliant on members pitching in as needed on a volunteer basis.
We regret that, for the time being, we are unable to offer membership to juniors.
What does the club offer?
- Members-only swimming sessions are held on a Saturday morning at a local 25m pool, with some coaching available.
- In addition, during the summer, members have been able to use a private lake on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
- Each week the club aims to organise run sessions for members of all abilities.
- The club also aims to organise weekly group bike rides (of varying distances) for members. Beginners to experienced riders are welcome, when weather does not allow safe riding outside we have organised group Zwift rides.
We are affiliated to British Triathlon through Triathlon England. This means that members can get a discount off the full year subscription if they choose to join British Triathlon direct - for example to get an annual race licence. (Please check back with me if you cannot find our club listed on the Triathlon England or BT website.)
We are linked to the Ipswich District Cycling Association, which means members are able to compete in the Association's summer series of mid-week evening time-trials (5 & 10 mile).
We are affiliated to Suffolk Athletics and compete in the Suffolk Winter League cross-country series, held at various locations around Suffolk.
- We are affiliated to UK Athletics through England Athletics. First claim members with England Athletics affiliation, once registered receive the England Athletics competition licence which serves as a club membership card, and are entitled to discounted entry to UK:A registered races and other benefits.Affiliation to England Athletics has meant we have been allocated a club place in the TCS London Marathon. Which EA affiliated members who have fulfilled their marshalling obligations are able to apply for if unsuccessful in the main ballot.
Club kit is sold to members at cost, with members also receiving discount vouchers when fulfilling their marshalling obligations at Club races.
- Discounts are often available from various local retailers, notably Coes (Norwich Road, Ipswich) who offer a 15% discount on full-priced running shoes & kit.
- We have Club Championships with categories for seniors, veterans and super-vets. These championships are decided by performance across any 3 triathlons, ranging from sprint to Ironman distance. We also have an annual Challenge cup which is awarded to the highest place Male and Female finishers in a selected race, which for the past 2 years has been the Felixstowe Standard distance.
- The club has a dedicated, members only Facebook page on which it advertises club events and news.
In addition to these club activities, individual members organise social and other events throughout the year, including ride-outs & yoga sessions, using the Facebook group.
What does membership cost?
- Membership including England Athletics Affiliation - £25
- Membership not including England Athletics Affiliation - £5
We are able to maintain low annual membership fees because of revenue generated by our open events. Members are therefore asked to commit to providing help with the Culford Sprint Triathlon held in June. We also need volunteers for three of the mid-week cycle time-trials during the summer. The races are very popular and an excellent opportunity for members to meet up. Each volunteer will receive £5 worth of Ipswich Triathlon club kit vouchers as a thank you for helping out.
Affiliation to England Athletics for first claim members will gain you an England Athletics competition licence. (Please note this is NOT a triathlon race licence, which you buy as part of entering an event. However, our members can get a discount on an annual licence from Triathlon England.)
What events does the Club promote?
The Club is intending to promote one "open" event in 2023:
- A "sprint" triathlon held at Culford near Bury St Edmunds on 4th June.
We also put on three of the local series of cycle time-trials, for which volunteers are also needed. (These races are only open to members of associated clubs.). The dates for these events will be confirmed to members.
For more information see our website or subscribe to the club Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ipswichtriclub/ .
For each sign-up, the organiser pays the Service Fee of 4% (min 50p). You pay no surcharge