Hell of the North Cotswolds
08 Apr 18
A big THANK YOU to everyone who has supported us & entered the HONC again this year. The event is now fully subscribed & regrettably entry is closed.
Promoted and organised by Winchcombe Cycling Club* and Cheltenham & County Cycling Club
HONC starts and finishes at Winchcombe Community School near the picturesque town of Winchcombe on Sunday 8th April 2018. Mass Start 09.00hr.
Our Classic On & Off Road Endurance Event, now in it’s 34th year, is run over challenging routes across the hills and valleys of the Cotswolds & uses a combination of roads, tracks and bridleways, with significant off-road sections. There will be a 100km route for the very experienced and fit riders and a 50km route for those who know just how tough the off-road Cotswold Hills can be.
Food & drink will be available all day at the start/finish from 07.30hr and there will be a food stop at around the half way point of each route.
Car Parking, changing, toilets and showers & a bike wash will be available at the start at Winchcombe Community School. A back up cycle recovery service will be provided.
Leisure Lakes will kindly be providing a mobile repair van at the start & the food stop.
A certificate and medal will be awarded to all finishers & to encourage Junior Riders we have teamed up with the great guys at Whyte Bikes to offer a Whyte Hard Tail Mountain Bike as the prize in the Junior RiderDraw for which all riders U-18 successfully completing the event will be entered.
PLEASE NOTE -DRONES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED
Please ensure you read the following - you will be asked to agree to comply with them during entry
EVENT NOTES incorporating British Cycling Regulations - Hell of the North Cotswolds 2018
- The rideis an On & Off Road Endurance Event aimed at EXERIENCED RIDERS. It is NOT a race.
- Riders are required to register before the start & to sign off by handing in their Control Card at the finish.
- There will be a number controls around the course and at the food stop. Riders must ensure that they pick up a coloured wristband at each of these. The wrist bands should be displayed at sign off and the control card must be handed in. Certificates & medals will then be issued.
- Controls open based on a 25kph average and close based on a 12.5 kph average. This is equivalent to riding the complete 100km route in 4 hours and not more than eight hours. Riders arriving at the Guiting Power food stop on the 100Km route who are running late will be directed to the 50Km route to return to Winchcombe.
- The wearing of as hard shell helmet conforming to CE Standards EN1078 is mandatory for all riders at all times whilst on the course. Riders must affix the self-adhesive identifying number issued at registration to the front of their helmets.
- It is the responsibility of each rider to follow the course on the route map that will be provided at registration. The route will also be identified by distinctive yellow & black HONC route markers. Gpx routes will be issued to all registered riders in the week before the event. It is the responsibility of each rider to assess the prevailing conditions and terrain and adjust their speed appropriately or dismount if necessary.
- Where the event crosses or travels on public roads, then the laws of riding on the road and the Highway Code must be obeyed. Some sections are held on un-surfaced tracks and bridleways and due consideration must be given to other users, particularly horse riders and walkers and the Countryside Code should be adhered to.
- All riders, riding in a group must ride in an orderly manner in accordance with the Highway Code, not more than two abreast & singling out on narrow lanes. All riders should extend all reasonable courtesy to other road users. The use of earphones (Eg. MP3, iPod) is discouraged.
- The following are NOT PERMITTED
a) Triathlon/time trial bars or similar, disc wheels or tri-spokes, penny farthings. b) Electric bikes or recumbent cycles. c) The use of child carriers. d) The flying of DRONES
- It is the riders responsibility to ensure their bikes are in safe working condition and roadworthy.
- Riders should carry sufficient water, food and money and ensure that they are adequately equipped to deal with punctures, mechanical breakdown, inclement weather and to advise Event HQ if they are unable to complete the route.
- All riders should carry a fully charged mobile phone and some form of personal identification with their name, address and the emergency contact details of a person to be contacted in the event of an accident.
- Riders are not permitted to have their own “personal” support vehicle.
- All riders under the age of 18yr. must submit a [PARENTALCONSENT FORM] signed by their Parent/Guardian by post to the Event Secretary within 7 days of entry. ENTRIES ARE NOT VALID UNTIL RECEIPT OF THIS FORM.
- Riders under the age of 16yr. must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No refund of entry fees will be allowed but transfer of an entry may be allowable entirely at the Organisers discretion and then only by following the Organiser’s instructions.
Adult £20. Junior (under 18 years on the day) £8. NB No entries will be accepted on the day.
Payment can be made for individual or multiple entries by a secure card transaction.
The aim of the organisers will be to donate up to £5000 to local and national charities including Air Ambulance and British Heart Foundation. Details will be published on our web site after the event.
JUNIOR AWARD DRAW
The organisers in conjunction with the great guys at WHYTE BIKES have donated a Whyte hardtail cross-country mountain bike as first prize. All entrants aged under 18yr. on the day and who complete the course will be entered into the prize draw.
HQ & Start/Finish Winchcombe Community School, Greet Road, Winchcombe, Glos OS Sheet 163 GR025295
OFFICIAL EVENT PHOTOGRAPHERS SussexSportPhotography.com
* Winchcombe Cycling Club - a company limited by guarantee Registered in England Number 8113168
Registered Office Gretton Hill Farm, Gretton, Cheltenham, Glos GL54 5EW