Hell of the North Cotswolds
05 Sep 2021
The original & classic British Off-Road Endurance Cycling Event now in its 36th year & originally run with a nod to the famous Paris-Roubaix event in France. Promoted & organised by Winchcombe Cycling Club* & Cheltenham & County Cycling Club
We are delighted to announce a new venue for HONC this year – the historic Sudeley Castle Estate in Winchcombe.
Our aim as ever is to provide all of our riders with great day’s riding in the beautiful Cotswolds with rider & volunteer safety our top priority. With this in mind & an ever changing situation with the covid pandemic we need to make some changes :-
· Initially entry will be limited to 600 riders but we will continue review this & increase entry numbers if we judge conditions are favourable.
· The traditional mass start will be replaced with a staggered start from 07.30 to 09.30 hr & our marshals will organise groups on the day depending on arrival time.
· Depending on prevailing conditions Entry Numbers will either be available at a Registration Desk on the day or will be posted to entrants in the week before the event to minimise the need for contact before the start.
· Food & drink will be available at the start/finish. Water & a range of snack food will be available at the food stop on a self-service basis.
· Following cancellation of last year’s event, we allowed full refunds to all entrants & this inevitably led to a substantial loss. To ensure the viability of our event going forward we have had to increase our entry fees which now include a small non-refundable Administration Fee.
· In circumstances where the organisers need to cancel the event an alternative date will be offered, alternatively a full refund of the entry fee will be made, less an Administration Fee of £3.00
HONC is a NON COMPETETIVE ON & OFF-ROAD CHALLENGE aimed at experienced riders. It is run under British Cycling Rules & Guidelines & over challenging routes across the hills & valleys of the beautiful Cotswolds, using a combination of roads, tracks & bridleways, with significant off-road sections. A medal will be awarded to all finishers.
ROUTES - Choose on the day between 100km for experienced & fit riders & 50km for those who know just how tough the off-road Cotswold Hills can be. You can also ride 75km by following the 100km route to the food stop & then following the 50km route to the finish.
RIDER SUPPORT – Riders will be provided with Emergency Contact Details, St John Ambulance will be providing First Aid & there will be a Cycle Recovery Service. There will be a mobile repair service available at the start & the food stop.
GPX routes will be made available to all registered riders in the week before the event & the routes will be marked by distinctive black & yellow HONC arrows on the day.
FOOD & DRINK will be available all day at the start/finish from 07.00hr & there will also be a Food Stop at around the half way point of the 100km & 50km routes, where Self Service Food, & Water will be available.
CAR PARKING, TOILETS & BIKE WASH will be available at Sudeley Castle & toilets will be available at the Food Stop.
ENTRY FEES - ADULT £30, JUNIOR (under 18 years on the day) £10 (both include a non-refundable £3.00 Administration Fee). NO ENTRIES CAN BE ACCEPTED ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT
PAYMENT - can be made for individual or multiple entries by secure card transaction.
CHARITABLE DONATIONS -after making donations approaching £25K over the past 5 years we were sadly unable to make any donations in 2020 due to cancellation of the event & the consequent losses. We intend to restart our donations as soon as we are able to clear the losses we sustained.
HQ & START & FINISH – Sudeley Castle & Gardens, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire. GL54 5JD
THE FLYING OF DRONES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED
*Winchcombe Cycling Club - a company limited by guarantee Registered in England, Number 8113168. Registered Office 24 Wincel Road, Winchcombe, Glos. GL54 5YE
For each sign-up, the organiser pays the Service Fee of 4% (min 50p). You pay no surcharge
Dates and Status
Status: Waiting List
Total Places: 600
Places Available: ??List