The Ken Laidlaw Sportive
22 Aug 2021
Hawick Cycing Club present...
The Ken Laidlaw Sportive: 22 August 2021
Fifty Extra Places Have Now Been Made Available.
We have decided to run the Ken Laidlaw Sportive this August after last year's cancellation, although there is still the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. While nobody can be sure what restrictions will be in place this August there are many hopeful signs that large, organised sporting events will be allowed by then.
We have prided ourselves on the Ken Laidlaw being the friendly sportive with riders able to meet during the mass start, at the feed stations in the village halls and at the end, to share a meal together. We are conscious that these are the very situations where the virus will spread easily. For this reason, we are replacing these aspects of the event, while keeping the rider support on route to the same high standard.
We want to encourage people to enter early so they have the opportunity to choose a start time and to order an Exclusive Ken Laidlaw Cycling Top for collection on the day of the event. We have therfore introduced an Early Bird entry fee of £20 valid until 30 April 2021. We won't be accepting entries on the day even if places remain. Entries close two weeks prior to the event start date.
We are limiting the number of places available to 180, so book early to avoid disappointment. Update -Fifty additional places are now available to book from 16 July.
We will keep you informed of any changes through our Facebook Page at Ken Laidlaw Sportive
All entries made before the 30 April 2021 will be entered into a free prize draw to win one of our exclusive Ken Laidlaw Sportive tops worth £60! Those people who entered for the cancelled 2020 event but kept their entries open will also be added to the draw.
Feature of the Ken Laidlaw Sportive
- Three routes to choose from to give you an appropriate challenge
- Six start times to choose from
- The event is held mainly on well-surfaced back roads with very little traffic
- The views around this Borders route are fantastic
- Riders are individually times
- Cafes on route and a free feed station on the Swire.
- The challenge takes in the Samye Ling Tibetan Monastery, the largest Buddhist centre in Europe.
- This is an event organised by cyclists for cyclists.
- Early Bird price of £20.
Rewards and Facilities for 2021
- Start pack emailed to entrants prior to the event
- Headquarters and start at the Volunteer Park, Buccleuch Road, Hawick.
- Riders set off in small groups at 30 minute intervals
- COVID secure practice throughout based on current Government and Scottish Cycling requirments
- Ample car parking near to HQ
- Cafes and feed station on route
- Route card and gpx file navigation
- Well signposted route
- Broom wagon, support vehicles, motor cycle monitoring of riders and routes, mechanics
- Photos of riders made available free online
- Finishers and times posted on the Ken Laidlaw Sportive Facebook page
- Starting from 7.30am from Volunteer Park the riders are set off in groups of 40 at 30 minute intervals. The first four groups are for long and middle route entrants, the last two for short route entrants.
- The total distance for the long challenge is 104 miles, and takes in the Samye Ling Tibetan monastery.
- The long route takes in the climbs of Bonchester Hill; The Note o the Gate; Holm Hill; Eskdalemuir; The Berry Bush; The Swire; Woll Rig and The Leap Linns. (The Berry Bush, and Swire are part of the Gordon Arms Trophy Hilly TT course.)
- The short route turns for home after the Newcastleton feed stop and follows a pleasant but challenging run back to Hawick.
- The middle route turning off at Tushielaw. Although this route is not significantly shorter than the long route, it does take out the final lumpy secion of the Berry Bush, Swire, Woll etc.
- The Event control will close at 6pm, allowing a 10mph average speed.
The Ken Laidlaw Routes
To view the routes click on the links below which will take you to Ride with GPS where you can view route details, see a route guide and download a GPX file for GPS devices.
The Ken Laidlaw Cycling Top - No Longer Available
Hawick Cycling Club have partnered with the premium cycling apparel brand Le Col to create an exclusive cycling top for the Ken Laidlaw Sportive. The top is available in two versions, the body hugging Pro version for an aerodynamic advantage or the Sport top which is a more forgiving fit. The styles and sizing can be seen on the Le Col website.
However, you will need to visit the Ken Laidlaw Sportive Facebook page to see the design. It is exclusive to the event and manfactured in Italy to the same quality as Le Col's own ranges. We, through our partnership with Le Col, are able to offer you these tops at high discouted prices and what's more you won't find this top for sale anywhere else.
The design uses colours and images that relate to our, town, our club and the event.
The Pro top - £75.
The Club top - £60
You can order a top before the 30 April and it will be there for you to pick up at registration on the day of the event. Please indicate your size and style if you wish to purchase when completing the entry form.
You can view the top's design at our Facebook page Ken Laidlaw Sportive
You may wish to visit the Le Col website if you are unsure of you size or for details of the styles. Le Col
More about Hawick Cycling Club
Hawick Cycling Club is a charitable organisation and was formed in 1881. It is one of the oldest clubs in the country. Ken Laidlaw is a life member and has ridden the event although he now lives in America. Ken competed in the Tour de France in 1961 and was the first Scot to complete the gruelling 3 week course. We celebrate his achievements each year with this sportive while raising money for the club and other charities.
Or follow us on Facebook at: Ken Laidlaw Sportive
Or contact Hawick Cycling Club:
|30 Apr 2021||£20.00|
|07 Aug 2021||£25.00|
For each sign-up, the organiser pays the Service Fee of 4% (min 50p). You pay no surcharge
Dates and Status
Status: Waiting List
Total Places: 230
Places Available: ??