Virtual Six Parks Relay (18th-26th July)
26 Jul 2020
So everyone knows we at TRB are big fans of the Southside Six. We even created a whole race series inspired by it – South By Five. Not happy with it inspiring just one event on our calendar, a small spark flickered recently during a lockdown potter around Pollok Park - the Six Parks Race.
With all the virtual events floating about, including our own in Glasgow and Preston, why couldn’t this iconic route also go virtual?
Six Parks Relay
Having been in “lockdown” for over 100 days now, it is nice to be back able to run with someone. We decided to factor this into this event ( a solo version will be coming soon). Bring a pal along to run with…in fact split into legs, make it a relay and run it in pairs! Six to a team, with a choice of distances…who will you pair together Captains?
- Team Captains – are encouraged to give your teams a name! There’s a prize for the best one.
- It’s not an official “race”. There is no mass start. Each team picks their own start time between 18th July and 26th
- Each leg must be run consecutively.
- Both runners in the pair must start and finish the leg together.
- Legs do not need to be run on the same day. Handover to the next leg can be “virtual”.
- Elapsed time to be counted not moving time! No dithering, but please take care at road crossings. Use pedestrian crossing when available, traffic islands etc. Breaking this rule could be punishable by severe injury or death.
- Team Captains to collate their team results and submit to race control – firstname.lastname@example.org Now we know this is quite easy to fudge….please don’t it’s not in the spirit of the event.
These are broken down into nice chunks which allow for ease of changeover. Ensure you do not block the path or roads when starting or finishing a leg.
There are three legs - each leg must have two runners from your team running together. Current guidelines are 2m apart or 5m apart if running line astern.
1st Leg is QP to David Lloyd Leisure at Rouken Glen. Changeover is at the bottom of the lane at the bollards.
Click link for further route details 12.4km
2nd Leg is David Lloyd Leisure to Cartha Rugby Club 6.6km. Changeover is Cartha Rugby Club gates. Stay out the way of traffic! Runners are advised to set off in the right direction!
Click link for further details 6.5km
3rd Leg is Cartha Rugby Club to QP. Ensure you take the correct path on entering QP. The “New Path” is not the correct route! Finish at QP is marked from days a yore by a spray-painted green mark on the path, just before the crossroads.
Click link for further route details 6.5km
Entries can be male, female, non-binary or mixed. Please specify on entry. Team member names are not required at entry, but should be submitted by email to email@example.com before the first leg is started. Names, gender, DOB and SA number (where applicable). This information will only be kept and used in relation to the entry for this event, the publishing/sharing of results and any necessary health and safety concerns related to the event
There are 30 team slots available.
Cost per team is £15. There is a £6 reduction for SA affliation but all team members are required to be affliated in order for this to apply.
It's cheap as chips! We'll come up with something! Winning teams in each category. Gender category, not age! Maybe a couple of free entries to the Migo Mile when it resumes ;)
Enjoyment is the biggest prize! Closely followed by team pride and honour!
Six Parks Relay will be supporting Funding Neuro, and you will have the option to donate on sign up.
Funding Neuro have the aim is to accelerate the development of new treatments for many of the most serious neurological conditions.
Find out more here
Parks are popular with dog walkers, cyclists, walkers, runners and others! Please be aware of them, and apply social distancing when and where necessary.
More tips on safe running can be found here
Should Government guidelines be changed at any time, they will be immediately implemented
to any virtual challenges, including suspension of activity.
All routes should be:
• planned in advance
• within easy reach of the participants home
• planned according to your ability and current level of fitness – flat, hilly, technical etc.
• risk assessed by the runner
Individuals are expected to conduct a dynamic risk assessment whilst planning their route to include:
• condition of paths and trails – avoid areas in a poor state of repair
• width of paths and trails for respecting 2m (Minimum) social distancing guidelines
• time of run, to consider peak times of use – avoid, if possible, popular times such as
lunchtime and early evening.
• if running at night, consider lighting of route and wear suitable clothing.
• consideration of local residents and businesses that require access and use of areas along
• expected weather conditions and the impact this may have on your route or your own safety.
Virtual Challenge events have a time-period of 2 or more days, so poor weather conditions
should be avoided wherever possible.
• Runs must be completed under Government guidelines. Young athletes participating
in a Virtual Challenge may be accompanied by an adult from within their household.
• Make someone else aware of your planned route, as well as your expected start and finish
times. Check in with them on returning home.
• Provide an emergency contact number to a third party, should your agreed check in time be
• Have an agreed set of actions should the return check in time be missed:
o 10 minutes leeway
o 15 minutes - text message
o 20 minutes - phone call
o 25 minutes - call to third party
o 60 minutes – make contact with someone local who can retrace the route from Finish
• Carry an In Case of Emergency (ICE) Card detailing your name, address and underlying
health conditions and emergency contact phone number.
• Always be considerate to other people and respect social distancing guidelines at all times.
|25 Jul 2020 23:59||£15.00|
To sign-up for this event, the Service Fee is 4% (min 50p) for each sign-up
Dates and Status
Total Places: 30
Places Available: ??List