Round the Downs Race 2020
28 Jun 2020
* With much regret the organisers of the 2020 Round the Downs race have cancelled the event due to the Corvid -19 Crisis. We very much intend on being back in 2021 - stay safe x*
The Bromyard Round the Downs Race 2020
Sunday June 28th
The Bromyard Round the Downs road race is an historic event of just over 4 ½ miles. We are very happy to announce that the race returns this year with a brand new organising team of Emily and Meg. The first recorded race took place in 1923 but was probably running long before then. The 2020 race will be started by the Mayor of Bromyard and the Town Crier. *PLEASE NOTE* this year the start time has been brought forward and hour and will now start at 10:00am outside Bromyard Post Office in Church Street. The course starts gently with a short run down Sherford Street to warm up the legs, runners then turn left for the big climb east of over a mile up the A44 Worcester Road, the route then turns left by Brockhampton School and winds its way across the quieter Bromyard Downs road giving runners, on a clear day, astounding views west into Wales and North to the Clee Hills. Just past the Royal Oak pub the route then turns left again and it’s then downhill all the way back in to Bromyard, but beware of the sting in the tail, a final leg burner of little climb which takes runners up to the finish line positioned where the run started outside Bromyard Post Office where the Mayor and the Town Crier will be there to welcome you back and award a medal to each finisher. The course is fully marshalled, we hope with Police in attendance, a course car will be at the front of the runners and a first aid vehicle will follow behind to pick up anyone needing a lift back. There will be warning signs all along the route to slow down passing vehicles. Changing/showering facilities, toilets and lockers will be available by kind permission of Halo Leisure at the Bromyard Halo Leisure centre HR7 4EB where the prize giving takes place usually around 11:40 once all runners are back.
The winner will be presented with the historic Bromyard Round the Downs trophy to keep for a year. All entrants will receive a medal at the finishing line. There will also a special Cup for the first ‘local’ past the winning line. This Cup is called the ‘Val Freegard Cup’ in honour of the late Mr Val Freegard who won the event in the 1940’s and was the race starter when the race was revived in 2010.
The 2019 winner was Andrew Kaighin who ran the course in a time of 25 minutes 40 seconds, the all-time recent record being just over 23 mins! The event is run under the auspices of United Kingdom Athletics and Run Britain and attracts many serious as well as novice runners.
- Participants must be aged 16+
- runners aged under 18 will need a responsible adult to sign for them on the day
- Race numbers will be issued at the signing on desk from 9:00am in the Halo Leisure Centre, Cruxwell Street, Bromyard, desk closes at 9:40
- Entry fee is £10 for affiliated and £12 for non-affiliated runners
- The course uses sections of tarmac road open to traffic, marshalls will be present to guide runners at all turns
- A course car will follow the event and will give lifts back to any runner unable to complete the course
- There is a time limit of 100 minutes.
- Water will be provided at a water station on Bromyard Downs and at the finish, *please* do not throw litter into hedgerows we will have a litter bin at the finish.
- Prizegiving will take place at the Halo leisure Centre at approx 11:40 (time dependant on time taken by the last runner)
Sorry but we will not be able to refund entry fees if you are unable to make the event after entering, you can however alter the details of the runner if you find someone to take your place
The race starts at 10:00 prompt - please arrive at least 30 minutes before this time & check in at the Bromyard Halo Leisure Centre in Cruxwell Street HR7 4EB
|20 Mar 2020||£10.00||£12.00|
*Discounted for members of clubs affiliated to any of EA WA
For each sign-up, the organiser pays the Service Fee of 4% (min 50p). You pay no surcharge
Dates and Status
Total Places: 150
Places Available: ??List