Round the Downs Race
23 Jun 19
The Bromyard Round the Downs Race 2019
Sunday June 23rd
The Bromyard Round the Downs road race is an historic event which first took place in 1923, the 2018 race will be started by the Mayor of Bromyard and the Town Crier. The traditional route is just over 4 ½ miles starting at 11:00am outside Bromyard Post Office in Church Street and an immediate short run down Sherford Street to warm up before turning left for the big climb east for over a mile up the A44 Worcester Road, the route then turns left by Brockhampton School and winds its way across the quieter Bromyard Downs road giving runners, on a clear day, astounding views west into Wales and the Clee Hills. Just past the Royal Oak pub the route then turns left again and it’s downhill all the way back in to Bromyard, but beware of the sting in the tail, a final leg burner of little climb which takes runners up to the finish where it started outside Bromyard Post Office where the Mayor and the Town Crier will be there to welcome you back and award a medal to each finisher. The course is fully marshalled, with Police in attendance, course cars at the front and rear of the runners (who will pick up any needing a lift back), first aid vehicles and there are warning signs all along the route to slow down passing vehicles. Changing/showering facilities, toilets and lockers will be available at the Bromyard Halo Leisure centre where the prize giving takes place once all runners are back.
The winner will be presented with the historic Bromyard Round the Downs trophy and it is hoped to offer Class Winners prizes of free tickets for Bromyard Gala and certificates. All entrants will receive a medal at the finishing line. There will also a special Cup for the first ‘local’ past the winning line. This Cup is called the ‘Val Freegard Cup’ in honour of the late Mr Val Freegard who won the event in the 1940’s and was the race starter when the race was revived in 2010.
The 2018 winner was Sage Pearce-Higgins who did it in a time of 23 minutes 31 seconds, the all-time recent record being just over 23 mins! The event is run under the auspices of United Kingdom Athletics and Run Britain [Licence number 2019 - 37306] and attracts many serious and novice runners.
- Participants must be aged 16+
- Race numbers will be issued at the signing on desk from 10:00am in the Halo Leisure Centre, Cruxwell Street, Bromyard
- Entry fee is £10 for affiliated and £12 for non-affiliated runners
- The course uses sections of tarmac road open to traffic, marshalls will be present to guide runners at all the turns
- A course car will follow the event and will give lifts back to any runner unable to complete the course
- There is a time limit of 100 minutes.
- Water will be provided on Bromyard Downs and at the finish, *please* do not throw bottles into hedgerows.
- Prizegiving will take place at the Halo leisure Centre at approx 12:30 (time dependant on time taken by the last runner)
The race starts at 11:00 prompt - please arrive at least 30 minutes before this time & check in at the Bromyard Halo Leisure Centre in Cruxwell Street
|21 Jun 2019||£10.00||£12.00|
*Discounted for members of any of EA WA
For each sign-up, the organiser pays the Service Fee of 4% (min 50p). You pay no surcharge
Dates and Status
Total Places: 100
Places Available: ??List