Uswim Polar Dips
26 Oct 2019 - 21 Mar 2020
USWIM POLAR DIPS (USWIM)
Chill out at Dock 9, Salford Quays during the Winter to boost your immune system!
See venue details for more info.
Cold Water Swimming.. The 'Do's..
- Acclimatise gradually. Enter the water slowly and try to stay relaxed. Allow your breathing to regulate before setting off.
- Know your limitations and ask staff for advice if it is your first time. As the temperature decreases your time in the water should also decrease.
- Wear a bright coloured swim cap (even 2) and if you have no intention to put your head in then wear a wooly hat.
- Gloves and Socks are a great way of continuing to swim as the temperatures drop without the loss of sensation in your fingers and toes.
- Wear earplugs. This prevents cold water entering your ear canal which can cause dizziness and nausea.
- Have lots of layers ready for when you get out in the order you will be putting them back on. Leave your swim cap on until the end as you lose heat from your head quickly.
- Wear a bright towfloat if you want to swim on the 200m course. If you are happy just dipping near the start then no towfloat is required.
- Have a warm drink it will aid recovery.
Shaking and shivering is a normal response post swim, however if you begin to shiver in the water it is a sign you have been in too long and you need to finish your swim.
- Swim if you are feeling unwell or have been drinking lots of alcohol the night before or suffering from any respiratory illness, don't swim.
- Forget your inhaler if you have asthma.
- Jump or dive in as its much colder the deeper you go!
For each sign-up, the organiser pays the Service Fee of 4% (min 50p). You pay no surcharge
Dates and Status
|Polar Dip 1) 26th October||26 Oct 2019||??/50||24 Oct 2019|
|Polar Dip 2) 9th November||09 Nov 2019||??/50||07 Nov 2019|
|Polar Dip 3) 30th November||30 Nov 2019||??/50||28 Nov 2019|
|Polar Dip 4) 14th December||14 Dec 2019||??/50||12 Dec 2019|
|Polar Dip 5) 1st February||01 Feb 2020||??/50||29 Jan 2020|
|Polar Dip 6) 15th February||15 Feb 2020||??/50||13 Feb 2020|
|Polar Dip 7) 7th March||07 Mar 2020||??/50||05 Mar 2020|
|Polar Dip 8) 21st March||21 Mar 2020||??/50||19 Mar 2020|