Killearn 10k: 2021 virtual trail
05 Jun 2021
Killearn 10k: 2021 Virtual Trail
Saturday 5th June 2021
The Killearn 10k trail race is one of the highlights of the summer running calendar. We were thwarted in 2020 but refuse to be so in 2021. We’re back, we’re doing it differently, and we’re letting more people join the fun; in 2021 we are ‘going virtual’.
Apart from anything, we know you need a new t-shirt!
You all know the Killearn 10k is the first Saturday in June and we’re sticking with that. So, get Saturday 5th June 2021 (00:01 until 23:59) in your diary.
HOW DOES IT WORK
- First, you need to sign up for the event on EntryCentral. The entry window is 4th April 2021 until 30th April 2021.
- Second, we strongly encourage you to sign up for Strava* as our preferred method of logging your time. Then join the private Killearn 10k club on Strava (https://strava.com/clubs/k10k).
- Third, plot your own 10k course in your local authority area. Try to choose a course that includes a variety of terrains to give you that K10k feel. But if that’s not possible just work on your imagination.
- Fourth, you need to record your time using a fitness app and we are encouraging you to use Strava for this event. You must complete your run between 00:01 and 23:59 on 5th June 2021.
- Finally, you need to lodge your time with us before 12 noon on Sunday 6th June. You will be asked to verify your time with a link to your app record or photographic evidence. Instructions will be provided.
*We do not endorse Strava over other fitness apps, we have chosen Strava for this event because it is free, widely used by our regular runners and works with various fitness watches and phones. It also enables you to share your run with us to help with time verification.
We are asking everyone to adhere to the COVID-19 restrictions/legislation current on the day they take part in the race. Even if restrictions allow travel, we would ask you to undertake your race as close to home as you can.
We ask runners, who aren’t a resident, not to travel to Killearn to run their 10k. This is a virtual race and, consequently, the usual provisions are not in place. There are no marshals, there is no water station, and there is no first aid provision. The local community, the land owner, and the farmer have always been 100% supportive of the Killearn 10k and without this we could not host the race. Let’s not jeopardise this for the future.
ENTRY FEE, T-SHIRTS & SPONSORSHIP
We have reduced the entry fee to £15 this year. Entrants must be 16 years or older on race day.
Every entrant will receive a special edition Killearn 10k technical t-shirt. We aim to post t-shirts out in advance of the race so you can send us your race pics! Please note that international postage will incur additional cost for the entrant.
Every year the K10k is well supported by our local businesses. This year we have decided not to seek sponsorship because local businesses have been hit hard by the pandemic. We hope that they will all still be in place to support us next year.
We would encourage everyone to spend the money saved through the reduced entry fee, and having no travel, in their own local community - support local.
Any 2021 entry fees not spent in the delivery of the event will be rolled over to support the 2022 race.
We cannot, under any circumstances, offer entry fee refunds, transfers or deferrals.
We cannot, under any circumstances, offer any change to the t-shirt size ordered.
We will be issuing results based on the times lodged by runners. Please consult our Timing Instructions before you do your 10k so you know what we need from you to register a time.
The usual rankings/categories will apply:
- Overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd (Male, Female and Non-binary)
- Veteran 50, 60 and 70 (Male, Female and Non-binary)
- MU20 (Male, Female and Non-binary)
- G63 (Male, Female and Non-binary)
We are not seeking sponsorship this year so we will not be issuing prizes.
- Runners must adhere to all COVID-19 restrictions/legislation current on the day they run their 10k.
- Entrants must be aged 16 years or over on race day.
- Entrants must ensure that they are medically fit to run and understand that participation is at their own risk.
- Runners must consider the risks associated with the route that they choose and take appropriate mitigating actions.
- The organisers will not be liable for any loss injury damage action cost or expenses, which may arise as a result of my taking part in this event or from the postponement or cancellation of this event for any reason whatsoever.
- Each runner is permitted one attempt, their first attempt will be the time accepted.
- Times must be lodged by 12 noon Sunday 6th June 2021 to be included in the race results.
- The Killearn 10k is Scottish Athletics Limited affiliated, conforming to UKA Rules (licence pending).
Killearn 10k privacy notice can be found on our website.