Wild Donkeys and Crazy Asses on a Run Ashore
20 Oct 2021
1. The inaugural ‘Wild Donkeys and Crazy Asses on a Run Ashore’ trail race will take place on the Tamar Trails on Wed 20 Oct 21, commencing at 1230.
2. The event is hosted by the Royal Navy Athletic Club (RNAC) and organised by Lt Sean Childs MBE RN. It will incorporate the Royal Navy Trail Championships 2021.
Event Description and Format
3. Limit. A maximum of 150 runners will be permitted. Priority will be awarded by those who reserve a place via the on-line booking and payment system. You are advised to book early to avoid disappointment.
4. Eligibility. The event is open to civilian and military personnel who are over 17+yrs old.
5. Course. The race starts and finishes at the Tamar Trails Centre, near Gulworthy, Tavistock, PL19 8JE. It comprises of a 13-mile (1/2 marathon) trail course consisting of undulating footpaths. Marshals will be present at key junctions.
6. Start. Runners will be seeded into two waves with the slower forecasted runners commencing at 1230 and the faster runners at 1300.
7. There is no cut off time limit, but please be aware that this is a running race and that walking should only be for recovery or harder sections.
8. Overall positions will be calculated on actual running times.
9. Permit. The event has been authorised by the Trail Running Authority (TRA) permit 4177 and the South Hams District Council and West Devon Borough Council.
10. Insurance. Cover is provided by UK Athletics (UKA) as the RNAC is a recognised affiliated club to England Athletics (EA).
11. Duty Status. All Royal Navy personnel (including reservists) are considered on duty status whilst participating in this event.
12. Application. Entry is on-line only via EntryCentral.com.
13. Entry Fee. This is a non-profit event. Entry fees are £7.00 for attached and £9.00 for unattached. Checks will be made to ensure that attached runners are currently affiliated to England Athletics (EA). Any profit will be donated to the charity of the choice of the ‘poster’s artist.’
14. Confirmation. A successful entry will be confirmed with a return email to the applicant.
Arrival and Registration
15. Car Parking. Limited parking is at the pay and display car park at the Tamar Trails Centre. Car sharing is encouraged where safe to do so.
16. Registration. Will take place at the HQ in Tamar Trails Centre from 1030-1220. Each runner will collect their designated number and pins. Registration for Wave 1 closes at 1200 and Wave 2 at 1220.
17. There are NO wash or changing facilities. Please ensure you arrive in your race kit, and under no circumstances is there to be any nudity in the Car Park on completion of the event.
18. Toilets. Limited toilets are available at the Tamar Trails Centre.
19. Risk Assessment. It has been risk assessed to ensure it is CV-19 compliant and safe. Further control measures will be implemented if the weather deteriorates.
20. Personal Health and Wellbeing. All participants are requested to undertake a personal Covid Lateral Flow Test on the morning of the event to ensure they are fit and healthy and clear of viral symptoms. If in doubt about your health risk to undertake this event, then please seek advice via NHS 111. Those who rely on medication or inhalers are to keep them on their possession throughout the race.
21. COVID Heat Illness. Personnel who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 within 72hrs prior to the event are recommended not to participate, due to potential COVID related heat illness.
22. Mandatory Race Kit. Every runner is to commence the race carrying/wearing a hydration vest/jersey with a minimum of 1 x full 500ml water bottle and an energy gel.
23. Race numbers. Must be visible on the front of the body. Race Pins provided.
24. Footwear. Most of the terrain is firm footpaths, however, there may be sections which become muddy and slippy with rainfall. Trail shoes with grip are recommended.
25. Injuries/Illness. If serious, the closest runner to the injured party remains with them and phones for help.
26. Check Points. There will be mandatory check points. Runners are to let the marshals know if there any problems.
27. Rehydration. There will be two opportunities to refill water bottles on route. If required, remove bottle cap and place bottle on table. Stand back whilst marshal tops bottle up, when finished collect bottle, replace cap, then continue with travels.
28. Sweeper. A race sweeper will be running at the tail of the race to ensure all runners are swept up.
29. Respect. Please be respectful and courteous to other Centre users and footpath pedestrians, paying attention to the codes of the country.
30. Rubbish. Referred to as gash in the RN. Keep it on you and dispose of it in waste bins when you finish. If you drop litter and get caught, not only will you be disqualified, but you will also bring the event and its organisers into disrepute with West Devon Council, local farmers and the Tamar Trails Centre.
31. Leave the animals alone. Trust me when I say the majority don’t want a selfie with you, whether wild or domestic.
Completion of the Race
32. Report any problems or concerns to the organiser. Do not congregate at the finish line. Get changed into dry warm clothing asap.
33. Hot drink and cake. Exchange your Race No at the Café for a hot drink and cake. Additional refreshments can be purchased.
34. Presentation. The presentation of Awards will take place outside the Café (near the finish) at 1600. Prizes/Vouchers (some provided courtesy of Run Venture) will be awarded to both men and ladies as follows, maximum of one award per person in the Open event:
Men & Ladies 1st 2nd 3rd
Men & Ladies O40 1st 2nd
Men & Ladies O50 1st 2nd
Men & Ladies O60+ 1st
b. RN Championship (medals):
Men & Ladies 1st 2nd 3rd
Men O40+ 1st 2nd 3rd
35. Results. Will be available and distributed within 48hrs of the event finishing.
|18 Oct 2021||£7.00||£9.00|
*Discounted for members of any of EA TRA
To sign-up for this event, the Service Fee is 4% (min 50p) for each sign-up
Dates and Status
Total Places: 150
Places Available: ??List