Burrator Horseshoe 2023
24 Jun 2023
Burrator Horseshoe 2023 June 24th
Yes the Meavy Oak Fair and Burrator Horseshoe are back together for 2023 and this is the 25th year of the race!
We are really pleased as South West Fell Runners to host the locally famous Burrator Horseshoe race in support of Meavy Oak Fair Committee. Substantial funds are raised for local parish charities and good causes, and it’s just a brilliant village fair.
The Burrator Horseshoe is a 6-mile moorland run from Meavy out over Dartmoor, via Burrator Reservoir, Sheepstor Dam, Sheepstor summit (369m), Gutter Tor summit (357m), and Ringmoor Down – the route map is below. It has a spectacular finish with a nice cooling ford dip and an awesome reception on the village green outside the welcoming Royal Oak Inn http://www.royaloakinn.org.uk/ .
A few key changes – the Horseshoe start is back to the village green. Parking for runners is at either end of village but the best view of junior course is at the eastern end (Burrator end) of the village – (easiest access from the Burrator Inn junction as roads will be closed in the village). A voluntary donation for parking goes towards the parish. This year registration will be back in or near the village hall.Please arrive early as the fair gets busy from 1pm, so there is plenty of time to enjoy the fair and refreshments.
Junior races start at 2;30pm and senior race from 3:15pm (you can watch them juniors run from the parking field).
The race is held under Fell Runners Association rules and licence. For enquiries and further information about the Burrator Horseshoe Run go to the booking website Entry Central . Race entry is £7.50 plus a 50p booking fee. The website should be live from Apr 6th to June 22nd.
- Best times for the new course: Ben Neale 40m 47s, & Jo Meek 45m 45s (2011)
- There are awards for the normal age groups plus a trophy for the first club team (4 male and 4 female finishers) which last year went to Tamar Trail Runners. We are aiming for an award presentation for seniors at 18:15 on the village green. Enjoy!
- The run will be limited to a maximum of 300 competitors and there is a minimum age limit: you must be 16 or older on 18th June 2022 to enter this event.
- Again this year there are junior races from 2:30pm – the briefing is at Marchants cross at 2;20 pm starting 10 mins later.: U9 & U11 race from the Marchants Cross around a very steep loop to race through the ford and back to the village green (somewhat wet!) .The U13 & U15 also set off at 2:30 and race from Marchant’s Cross (just uphill from the ford) to Ringmoor cottage and back. Entry preferred in advance on line for, £1:50 per person. Will be £2 on the day. Prizes for the winners. Please ensure entrants register before 2pm and note juniors run unaccompanied. Please support and encourage the junior races – you may also want to help as a marshal.
- Deadline for online entry is Monday 22nd June. This race is normally full so book early. The Royal Oak is normally very accomadating for refreshments post race.
- Race Organiser: Richard Best with the support of South West Fell Runners, Run Venture Runners and Meavy Parish.
- Come along and enjoy a great afternoon and evening!
- Any help of marshalling support greatly received - especailly for the juniors – please contact the organiser
Burrator Horseshoe 2023 (seniors)
Welcome - this is the right page for senior event entry - So if you are Over 15 by dec 31st 2023 this is race for you. Race start is 3;15pm at the village green - so please arrive in plenty of time.
Burrator Horseshoe 2023 (Junior entry)
Welcome this is right entry for four junior categories u9/u11/u13/u15 all ages at end of year. minimum age is 8yrs. you will still need to bring a signed form to show parental consent and with you contact details.
the start is 2:30 at Marchants cross and finish this year is at village green. sam nice route with a splashy ending!
see you on the day
To sign-up for this event, the Service Fee is 4% (min 50p) for each sign-up
Dates and Status
Date: 24 Jun 2023
Closing Date: 22 Jun 2023 20:00
Places Available/Total: ??/300