Burrator Horseshoe 2022
18 Jun 2022
Burrator Horseshoe 2022 June 18th
Yes the Meavy Oak Fair and Burrator Horseshoe are back together for 2022!
We are really pleased as South West Fell Runners to host the locally famous Burrator Horseshoe race in support of Meavy Oak Fair Committee. Substantial funds are raised for local parish charities and good causes, and it’s just a brilliant village fair.
The Burrator Horseshoe is a 6-mile moorland run from Meavy out over Dartmoor, via Burrator Reservoir, Sheepstor Dam, Sheepstor summit (369m), Gutter Tor summit (357m), Ringmoor Down and the cooling Meavy river ford – the route map is below. It has a spectacular finish with a nice ford dip and an awesome reception on the village green outside the welcoming Royal Oak Inn http://www.royaloakinn.org.uk/ .
A few key changes – the Horseshoe start is later, and in a different place, as are the junior races. Parking for runners is at the eastern end (Burrator end) of the village – please use this to prevent congestion in the village (and drive there via the Burrator Inn junction as roads will be closed in the village). A voluntary donation for parking goes towards the parish. This year registration will be in the field as will the start of the senior race. But please arrive early as the fair gets busy from 1pm, so there is plenty of time to enjoy the fair and refreshments.
Junior races start at 4pm (you can watch them run from the parking field). The seniors start at 4:45pm and the senior race finishes on the village green.
The race is held under Fell Runners Association rules and licence. For enquiries and further information about the Burrator Horseshoe Run go to the booking website Entry Central . Race entry is £7.50 plus a 50p booking fee. The website should be live from Mar 26th to June 13th.
- Best times for the new course: Ben Neale 40m 47s, & Jo Meek 45m 45s (2011)
- There are awards for the normal age groups plus a trophy for the first club team (4 male and 4 female finishers) which last year went to Tamar Trail Runners. We are aiming for an award presentation for seniors at 18:15 on the village green. Enjoy!
- The run will be limited to a maximum of 300 competitors and there is a minimum age limit: you must be 16 or older on 18th June 2022 to enter this event.
- Again this year there are junior races from 4pm – the briefing is in the field. 4:05pm: U9 & U11 race from the Marchants Cross around avery steep loop to race throught the ford and back to the field. the U13 & U15 also set off at 4:05 and race from Marchant’s Cross (just uphill from the ford) to Ringmoor cottage and back. Enter on the day, £1 person with prizes for the winners. Please ensure entrants register before 4pm and note juniors run unaccompanied. Please support and encourage the junior races – you may also want to help as a marshal.
- Deadline for online entry is Monday 13th June. This race is normally full so book early. The Royal Oak is also offering a special post race meal deal so you can enjoy the evening on the village green.
- Race Organiser: Richard Best with the support of South West Fell Runners, Run Venture Runners and Meavy Parish.
- Come along and enjoy a great afternoon and evening!
- Any help of marshalling support greatly received – please contact the organiser
To sign-up for this event, the Service Fee is 4% (min 50p) for each sign-up
Dates and Status
Total Places: 300
Places Available: ??List