z_Forth Canoe Club 2017 Membership
Thanks for thinking of joining Forth Canoe Club.
We are Scotland's oldest and largest canoe club (with around 400 members) and have a permanent base on the Union Canal by Harrison Park right in the heart of Edinburgh. Our club aims to support all paddlers to achieve their goals and, while we have three time Olympic Silver medallist David Florence as a life time member, the majority of our club are recreational paddlers.
Our paddlers are currently involved in the following:
- General purpose river trips
- Sea Paddling
- Open Boating
- SUP Boards
- Slalom - from beginners right through to David Florence
- Sprint - from beginners to current GB Junior champions
- Polo- from beginners to current GB U23 paddlers
- White Water Racing
- Coaches and coach trainees
Our Club nights run on a Thursday. We also run around 60-80 different blocks of courses for paddlers to develop and improve their skills each year.
What is the cost (per club year from 1st March to 28th Feb each year)?
- Senior Membership (18 or older on January 1st): £25
- Junior Membership (under 18 on January 1st): £12.50
- Associate non-paddler (parent of a Junior): £5
- Family Membership: £50
- One-off annual boat hire subscription: £60
- Key Hire - to allow you access to our boathouse whenever you want : £20 per annum
PLEASE NOTE THAT WHEN YOU SIGN ONTO ONE OF OUR ADULT OR JUNIOR COURSES ON THE CANAL YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFY FOR MEMBERSHIP (therefore if you are signing-up for a course on the canal you don't need to separately pay for becoming a member. If you do separately sign-up for membership we cannot provide a refund. Please note that Gym and Pool sessions do not work this way and carry no automatic membership rights).
If you want to store a boat at our Boathouse please contact our Boathouse Custodian (details on our website) we have limited availability and the Custodian will allocate spaces.
How to find us
Our boathouse, situated on the bank of the Union Canal is at the southern end of Harrison Road. The nearest Postcode is Polwarth Church - EH11 1LU.
Contact details to find out more about what's on offer
Your first port of call should always be our new website www.forthcanoeclub.com where you can find details of courses, events and discipline specific contacts. If you don't find what you are looking for then please contact Poppy Croal who is our Club Coach.
You can find Poppy at
- mobile: 07598 976456
Please be aware that like most sport, canoeing involves a certain amount of risk of physical injury. In order to become a member you will be asked to accept our terms and conditions and agree to the following:
- As part of the sign up process you will be asked to confirm you are the parent or legal guardian of this paddler (if under 18) and will be asked to give consent for Forth Canoe Club to act on your behalf in the event of an incident or illness affecting the paddler (note that grandparents and other relatives can not provide consent for under 18's).
- As part of the sign up process you will be asked to give consent for you or, where the paddler is under 18, your child to be treated by a trained first aider and/or medical professional, should this be necessary.
- As part of the sign up process you will also be asked to give consent for you or, where the paddler is under 18, your child to participate in all the activities involved in this course, and understand there is a degree of risk involved in these activities.
Forth Canoe Club will keep a record of members’ names and addresses and contact details on a computer accessible to the Forth Canoe Club Committee. Your record may be inspected by contacting the Membership Secretary. We are affiliated to the SCA and will pass on your data for insurance and membership statistics use. We use gender and date of birth to monitor the mix of our membership and this helps us make sure our offering is attractive to all. We also use date of birth for competition entries to ensure we put competitors in the right class.